Welcome

To join the discussion click on "comments" at the bottom of the post you would like to comment on.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

John 4:26

λέγει αὐτῇ ὁ Ἰησοῦς· ἐγώ εἰμι, ὁ λαλῶν σοι.

Rough Word-by-word:
he says to her the Jesus, "I I am, the one who is speaking to you."

Smooth Translation:
Jesus said to her,"I myself am, the one who is speaking to you."

Notes:
In response to the Samaritan woman's reference to the Messiah Jesus is not here speaking the obvious, "I'm talking to you," but rather it appears that the participial phrase (ὁ λαλῶν σοι) is in apposition with the statement (ἐγώ εἰμ). This is one of the great "I am" statements of Jesus in John's gospel. A personal pronouncement to the Samaritan woman of His being the Messiah to whom she refers. Like Moses who goes to Egypt and tells the people "I AM sent me," the Samaritan woman goes to the city to tell the people about the "I AM" she has just met.

λέγει verb present active indicative 3rd singular from λέγω (I say) "he says"

αὐτῇ pronoun dative singular feminine "to her"

definite article nominative singular masculine "the"

Ἰησοῦς proper noun nominative singular masculine "Jesus"

ἐγώ pronoun nominative 1st singular "I"

εἰμι verb present indicative 1st singular from εἰμι (I am) "I am"

definite article nominative singular masculine "the"

λαλῶν present active participle nominative singular masculine from λαλέω (I speak) "the one who is speaking"

σοι pronoun dative 2nd singular "to you"

No comments: