Welcome

To join the discussion click on "comments" at the bottom of the post you would like to comment on.

Friday, January 15, 2010

John 4:19

λέγει αὐτῷ ἡ γυνή· κύριε, θεωρῶ ὅτι προφήτης εἶ σύ.

Rough Word-by-word:
She says to him the woman, "Lord, I perceive that [a] prophet you are you."

Smooth Translation:
The woman said to him, "Lord, I perceive that you yourself are a prophet."

λέγει verb present active indicative 3rd singular from λέγω (I say) "she says"

αὐτῷ pronoun dative singular masculine "to him"

definite article nominative singular feminine "the"

γυνή noun nominative singular feminine "woman"

κύριε noun vocative singular masculine "Lord"

θεωρῶ verb present active indicative 1st singular from θεωρέω (I see/I perceive/I observe) "I perceive" (I don't know why the lexical form includes the variable vowel but the form here does not. Could this have something to do with accent rules? I note the long vowel on the ultima and the circumflex accent.)

ὅτι conjunction "that"

προφήτης noun nominative singular masculine "[a] prophet"

εἶ verb present indicative 2nd singular from εἰμί (I am) "you are"

σύ pronoun nominative 2nd singular "you"

No comments: