Welcome

To join the discussion click on "comments" at the bottom of the post you would like to comment on.

Monday, February 1, 2010

John 4:30

ἐξῆλθον ἐκ τῆς πόλεως, καὶ ἤρχοντο πρὸς αὐτόν.

Rough Word-by-word:
They came out from the city, and they were going toward him.

Smooth Translation:
They came out from the city, and were going to him.

Notes: Observe the tenses of ἔρχομαι. We could read too much into this, but it sure is interesting to note the action words. The simple movement away from the city results in an ongoing process of moving toward Jesus. I recall in my own life making a decision to find out about Jesus which resulted in a whirlwind of discovery.

ἐξῆλθον verb aorist active indicative 3rd plural from ἐξέρχομαι (I come out/I go out) "they came out"

ἐκ genitive preposition "from/out of"

τῆς definite article genitive singular feminine "the"

πόλεως noun genitive singular feminine "city"

καὶ conjunction "and"

ἤρχοντο verb imperfect middle indicative 3rd plural from ἔρχομαι (I come/ I go) "they were coming"

πρὸς accusative preposition "to/toward"

αὐτόν pronoun accusative singular masculine "him"

No comments: