Welcome

To join the discussion click on "comments" at the bottom of the post you would like to comment on.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

John 3:7

μὴ θαυμάσῃς ὅτι εἶπόν σοι· δεῖ ὑμᾶς γεννηθῆναι ἄνωθεν.

Rough Word-by-word:
not you might marvel that I said to you, "Must you all to be born from above."

Smooth Translation:
You might not marvel that I said to you, "You all must be born from above."

Notes:
I would have thought that θαυμάσῃς was imperative, but it is subjunctive. Faith in Christ's words is possible.

Also the 2nd plural pronoun used by Jesus indicates that Jesus is telling Nicodemus something that is not just for him, but for everyone wishing to see and enter the Kingdom of God.

μὴ negative particle "not"

θαυμάσῃς verb present active subjunctive 2nd singular from θαυμάζω (I marvel) "you might marvel"

ὅτι conjunction "that"

εἶπόν verb aorist active indicative 1st singular from λέγω (I say) "I was saying"

σοι pronoun dative 2nd singular "to you"

δεῖ verb present active indicative 3rd singular from δεῖ (it is necessary/ it must) "it must" (This is the lexical form)

ὑμᾶς pronoun accusative 2nd plural "you all"

γεννηθῆναι verb aorist passive infinitive γεννάω (I am born) "to be born"

ἄνωθεν adverb "from above"

No comments: