Welcome

To join the discussion click on "comments" at the bottom of the post you would like to comment on.

Monday, December 10, 2007

Translating for a break

Over the break I'm going to be working through John's gospel one verse at a time.

For those of you who may not have noticed, www.zhubert.com is changing. Some of the great tools this site had are no longer available on the new site, but I hope they will get them back. In the mean time, I have found another site, www.greekbiblestudy.org that has some nice features for doing translations, so I thought I would try to work my way through the gospel using these tools.

I'm only going to try one verse a day because I know it will get difficult to keep up. If I miss a day, I'm not going to get all upset. Also when I say one verse a day, I am excluding the weekend, so that should amount to 5 verses a week.

For those of you who read with us this last trimester, some of this will be review at the start.

So here we go with John 1:1

ν ρχ ν λγος, κα λγος ν πρς τν θεν, κα θες ν λγος.

ν - preposition - dative "in"

ρχῇ - noun dative singular feminine "beginning"

ν - verb imperfect indicative 3rd singular from eimi "was"

ὁ - definite article nominative masculine singular "the"

λγος - noun nominative masculine singular "word"

καὶ - conjunction "and"

ὁ - definite article nominative masculine singular "the"

λγος - noun nominative masculine singular "word"

ν - verb imperfect indicative 3rd singular "was"

πρς - preposition accusative here - "with"

τν - definite article accusative masculine singular "the"

θεν - noun accusative masculine singular "God"

καὶ - conjunction "and"

θες - noun nominative masculine singular "God"

ν - verb imperfect indicative 3'rd singular "was"

- definite article nominative masculine singular "the"

λγος - noun nominative masculine singular "word"

Rough translation:

in beginning was the word and the word was with the God and God was the word

Smooth translation:

In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God.

No comments: