Welcome

To join the discussion click on "comments" at the bottom of the post you would like to comment on.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

John 6:43

ἀπεκρίθη Ἰησοῦς καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς· μὴ γογγύζετε μετ' ἀλλήλων.

Rough Word-by-word:
he answered Jesus and he said to them, "Not you murmur with one another."

Smooth Translation:
Jesus answered and said to them, "Do not murmur with one another."

ἀπεκρίθη verb aorist passive indicative 3rd singular from αποκρίνομαι (I answer) "he answered"

Ἰησοῦς proper noun nominative singular masculine "Jesus"

καὶ conjunction "and"

εἶπεν verb aorist active indicative 3rd singular from λέγω (I say) "he said"

αὐτοῖς pronoun dative 3rd plural "to them"

μὴ adverb of negation "not"

γογγύζετε verb present active imperative 2nd plural from γογγύζω (I murmur) "you all murmur"

μετ' preposition with genitive "with"

ἀλλήλων reflexive pronoun genitive plural masculine "one another"

2 comments:

Katie said...

Is this a "fill-in-the-blanks yourself" blog post today? :)

marty said...

Actually it's called "short on time."
But it gives you an idea of how I start out in the morning. Usually I paste the verse and each word into blogger and then, as you say, fill in the blanks. Then I add bold and italics to make it more readable and sometimes add comments if they strike me.

Hopefully you got the parsings and vocab with no problem.

The Hebrew blog will be a bit slower, so I added some of Dr. Staats' notes last night.

Tomorrow will be another early day so don't know how much I'll get done.

en Xapiti,
--- marty ---