Welcome

To join the discussion click on "comments" at the bottom of the post you would like to comment on.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

John 2:4

[Kαὶ] λέγει αὐτῇ ὁ Ἰησοῦς· τί ἐμοὶ καὶ σοί, γύναι; οὔπω ἥκει ἡ ὥρα μου.

Rough Word-by-word:
[And] he said to her the Jesus,"What to me and to you, woman? Not yet she has come the hour of me."

Smooth Translation:
And Jesus said to her,"What [is that] to me and to you, woman? My hour has not yet come."

λέγει
verb present active indicative 3rd singular from λέγω (I say) "he said"

αὐτῇ pronoun dative feminine singular "to her"

definite article nominative masculine singular "the"

Ἰησοῦς proper noun nominative masculine singular "Jesus"

τί interrogative pronoun "what"

ἐμοὶ personal pronoun dative 1st singular "to me"

καὶ conjunction "and"

σοί pronoun dative 2nd singular "to you"

γύναι noun vocative feminine singular "woman"

οὔπω adverb "not yet"

ἥκει verb present active indicative 3rd singular from ἥκω (I am come) "she has come" ("she" refers to ὥρα - "hour" and English would use "it" in translation)

definite article nominative feminine singular "the"

ὥρα noun nominative feminine singular "hour"

μου pronoun genitive 1st singular "of me"

No comments: