Welcome

To join the discussion click on "comments" at the bottom of the post you would like to comment on.

Monday, June 29, 2009

John 1:24

καὶ ἀπεσταλμένοι ἦσαν ἐκ τῶν Φαρισαίων

καὶ conjunction "and"

ἀπεσταλμένοι participle perfect middle nominative masculine plural from ἀποστέλλω (I send) "having been sent" (note: I'm not recognizing this form, but going from parsing given by others. I see the "men in the middle," but would expect reduplication with the perfect. I am wondering if some contraction has taken place that I am not seeing. Another possibility is that this parsing is just wrong. Time to pull out the books...)

(additional note: I found the complete paradigm here and notice the change in omicron to epsilon in the prefix as well as the change from omicron to alpha in the stem for the perfect forms)

ἦσαν verb present indicative 3rd plural from εἰμί (I am) "they were"

ἐκ prepostion genitive "from/out of"

τῶν definite article genitive masculine plural "the"

Φαρισαίων proper noun genitive masculine plural "Pharisees"

Rough Word-by-word:
And having been sent they were from/out of the Pharisees

Smooth Translation:
And they had been sent from the Pharisees.

No comments: