Welcome

To join the discussion click on "comments" at the bottom of the post you would like to comment on.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

To be or not to be

An interesting observation came up in a greek reading group yesterday. We were reading in the sermon on the mount at Matthew 5:48. Here is the Greek text:

σεσθε ον μες τλειοι ς πατρ μν ορνιος τλεις στιν.

The question is concerning σεσθε which is a future middle indicative 2nd plural from εἰμί.
Many translations treat this as a command or imperative with, "Be ye, therefore, perfect...,"
but should it rather be treated more as a result? "Ye, therefore, will be perfect..." or even "You, then, will be perfect..."

Are there any syntactical or grammatical reasons for treating this future middle as an imperative?
Commentaries I've looked at so far seem to assume one treatment or the other without dealing with the grammatical question.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Marty! HMMMMM....Good question! The form is certainly a 2nd person plural, future indicative.... Ofcourse, I had to research an answer...and it
took about 40 minutes on this Friday afternoon quite alone in the library :)

I found one reference that actually parses this as a present middle/deponent imperative (Rogers and Rogers) but as they stood alone against myriads of
others, I didn't trust them...... Finally, ephiphany!!! Burton in "Moods and Tenses of NT Greek" states: The second person(and rarely, a third person
form also) future indicative is often used as an imperative and it is called "imperative future."

Now, if that's not the right answer, I'll defer to Dr. Resseguie or Prof. Davison. I'm just a researcher :)

Jeannine

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of doing more research. I have a Word Study I've done on this form in the LXX and the N.T.
If anyone is interested, it is a 6 page Word document that I would be happy to email to you.
blessings,
--- marty ---