Welcome

To join the discussion click on "comments" at the bottom of the post you would like to comment on.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Objectively Speaking

κα ατη στν μαρτυρα τι ζων αἰώνιον δωκεν μν θες κα ατη ζω ν τ υἱῷ ατο στιν

We might translate,
"And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his son."

I was reviewing the midterm with a student on Saturday and one of the questions was a true or false about this verse in 1 John 5:11. The student had answered "true" to the question, "Is υἱῷ the indirect object?" ( I may not have the question exactly right)

I thought, "Well, its obviously in the dative case, so, yes, it must be the indirect object," but it had been marked wrong. I was at a loss to explain, and thought, well I would surely have gotten that question wrong if I had taken the test.

Then, somewhere from the deep recesses of my memory I recalled Jim saying that the dative case can be used for the indirect object AND for the object of a preposition. That is the situation we have here and it is a good example to remember. (seems I remember mistakes more than correct answers)

Perhaps that was the object of the question...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,
Thank you for your comment.
I feel as though I have NOT been keeping up. Perhaps your comment will spur me to do so.
peace,
--- marty ---