Welcome

To join the discussion click on "comments" at the bottom of the post you would like to comment on.

Friday, September 28, 2007

What's the Subject?

ν ρχ ν λγος κα λγος ν πρς τν θεν κα θες ν λγος

When we were reading John 1:1 and we came to the third clause after the second "kai," i was pointing out the two nominatives and said that, "the one with the article is the subject."
I was listening to a tape of Jim's class and there was one of Croy's practice sentences where there was a demonstrative pronoun used as the subject and the nominative that had the article was a predicate nominative rather than the subject.

Soooo.....maybe this is not a hard and fast rule. I'll try to do some more checking on this.

3 comments:

Jim Davison said...

I probably wouldn't be too quick to assume that because we tend to put the demonstrative pronoun first in English, that it is the subject. In the statement, "This is the truth," the subject in Greek would be "the truth", and we could read, "The truth is this. . ."

English translation is tricky sometimes. The rule may not be 100%, but I think in this circumstance, it still applies.

Jim Davison

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jim.
Your input is really appreciated!
--- marty ---

Jim Davison said...

Just as soon as I offer a correction, I have to correct myself. While a demonstrative pronoun is probably not the best example of this illustration, I found something even more clear:

In John 14:6, Jesus says, "I am the way and the truth and the life." The three predicate nominatives all have the definite article. But, to be fair, the subject is a pronoun, which would not take a definite article.

Still interesting, though!